Re: [Hampshire] making simple videos - idiots guide wanted

Author: john
To: edward.beckmann, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] making simple videos - idiots guide wanted
On Saturday 15 March 2008 13:52:08 ed wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone have experience in making simple videos and burning to DVD
> or video cd?
>
> My wife is doing some sports stuff, for which short video assessments
> need to be submitted. We used to post real videos, but the video
> recorder has died and we have access to a Digital camcorder so I want to
> edit and burn to smaller disks. I have both DVD and CD writers on my
> ubuntu box, plus Kino and pitvi editor installed.
>
> Having looked at a few articles on wikipedia etc. DVDs seem very complex
> to burn, and all we need iniitally are some 20 - 30 min clips on a disk.
> Can anyone point me to a simple step-by-step way of going from camera -
> file - CD?
>
> I want to learn about DVD menus and so on eventually, so we can burn
> archives of progress, but currently just need to send off simple visible
> clips on cheap CDs.
>
> I'm happy to create a muppets guide as I learn, that can be shared by
> all.
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Ed

There are lots of guides to do this. I presume you want to watch your videos
on TV.

You can buy for about £20 a DVDplayer that can play Divx, mpg, svcd, dvd and
Xvids.

If you are watching videos on computer only then Realplayer is a good format
because it has the smallest size although it does require 1 GHz computer.

good sites are for information on codecs dvd etc etc.
http://www.doom9.org/
http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=63 - linux forum

Using MEncoder to create VCD/SVCD/DVD-compliant files
at http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-vcd-dvd.html

http://lives.sourceforge.net/ - lives is a videoediting system that runs on
linux

http://jahshaka.org/ is interesting also runs on linux

Unfortunately my experience is using free software in windows which is easy to
use. Wine may be now good enough to use some these programs.

http://techsupportalert.com/issues/al_current.htm#Section_5.1 might be useful

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/dvdauthoring.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMPGEnc

john eayrs