Re: [Hampshire] LVM mirroring without software RAID

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] LVM mirroring without software RAID
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 21:53:09 +0000 (+0000), Adam Trickett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Linux's LVM implementation is from HP-UX and doesn't do mirroring for that you
> need another application. IBM's original LVM solution can do mirroring of a
> within a volume group, so you don't need a RAID application first.

IIRC it's the syntax which comes from HP-UX, not the code or
implementation. Wikipedia says the "design was based on HP-UX".

Yes, IBM's (well, AIX - IBM's Unix) does upto 3-way mirroring as part
of the LVM. IIRC (it's been a few years now!) each LV could have upto 1023
LPs (logical paritions), each of those referred to 1, 2 or 3 PPs
(physical paritions). I'm pretty sure these limits were busted
properly with AIX5 (there were hacks in AIX4 ("-f factor" IIRC)).

> Apparently it's now possible to do this in Linux, from Debian Etch and Centos
> 4 era systems. However I've not found out how, almost everyone talks about
> running LVM2 on top of standard Linux software RAID.

When I looked into it, I decided to stick with LVM and MD - partly the
lack of documentation made me believe that it wasn't the robust choice.

Adrian
--
Email: adrian@??? -*- GPG key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux - the maintainable distribution -*- www.debian.org