Re: [Hampshire] LVM mirroring without software RAID

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] LVM mirroring without software RAID
> I've never tried it, because I heard that if one disk dies then the
> machine doesn't boot without manual intervention. Is this true?

>From the RedHat manual at

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/en-US/RHEL510/Cluster_Logical_Volume_Manager/mirrorrecover.html

"When a mirror leg fails, LVM converts the mirrored volume into a linear
volume, which continues to operate as before but without the mirrored
redundancy. At that point, you can add a new disk device to the system to
use as a replacement physical device and rebuild the mirror"

It would be pretty pointless having a redundancy system that caused the
machine to fail if *either* disk dropped out...

Vic.