Re: [Hampshire] LVM mirroring without software RAID

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] LVM mirroring without software RAID

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5695d100.hantslug.org.uk.15909': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Mar 14 12:33:27 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 09:53:09PM +0000, Adam Trickett wrote:
> Linux's LVM implementation is from HP-UX and doesn't do mirroring for that you
> need another application. IBM's original LVM solution can do mirroring of a
> within a volume group, so you don't need a RAID application first.
>
> Apparently it's now possible to do this in Linux, from Debian Etch and Centos
> 4 era systems. However I've not found out how, almost everyone talks about
> running LVM2 on top of standard Linux software RAID.
>
> Anyone know how?

I've never tried it, because I heard that if one disk dies then the
machine doesn't boot without manual intervention. Is this true?

Cheers,
Andy