Re: [Hampshire] ZFS or equivalent available for Linux?

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ZFS or equivalent available for Linux?
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 at 01:53:37PM +0000, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> I have just had a quick look at this
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/docs/zfs_last.pdf
>
> and I want some!
>
> Does anybody know different? Is there another file system that looks
> this good that is available in Linux?

Some people like the modularity of Linux RAID, LVM2 and separate file
systems. Some people prefer the all in one approach of ZFS. Take your
pick.

While ZFS is in BSD and on it's way into OS X it's not likley in Linux
in the short term because there are disputes about Suns CDDL licence.
I'm not qualified to comment, but it's clear we won't have native
ZFS in the stock Linux kernel any time soon.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
    -- Hanlon's Razor