Re: [Hampshire] Compiz Fusion

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Compiz Fusion
On Monday 09 Jul 2007, Mark Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
> Anyone else had a badger's at Compiz Fusion (that's the new name
> since the Compiz/Beryl re-merge)? I just installed it on Kubuntu
> Feisty, and I have to say I'm dead impressed with how much more
> stable and useful it was than last time I used it.
>
> I got in installed in about 5 minutes using APT following this
> guide [1] and just needed to run "compiz --replace" to get it
> running with minimum fuss. It even starts automatically when I log
> in without me having to mess about!
> While it still doesnt place nice with the KDE desktop pager, the
> new Expo plugin is a lovely replacement. Also, while it's been in
> earlier versions, I have to say the window tabbing/grouping plugin
> is an excellent space saver.
>
> What's more I haven't had a single crash, which is far more than I
> can say for earlier versions of Compiz/Beryl.
>
> If you like eye candy and have suitable hardware/drivers, I highly
> recommend it. The customary youtube video demo can be found at [2]
>
> Enjoy,
> Mark
>
> [1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=481314
> [2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ImW0-MgR8I

Thanks Mark,

I tried this in Debian Sid, using these sources.list lines:

# for compiz-fusion
deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/osrdebian unstable compiz-fusion-git

It seems to be better than the compiz in Sid at the moment, especially
the config management, but I still get fairly frequent crashes in
kde-window-decorator, it still doesn't work with the Baghira style
(produces lots of tiny windows then locks up) and the interaction
between KDE and Compiz for multiple desktops is dire. Also I can't
seem to get the 'water' plugin to do anything, but I don't know what
I'm looking for anyway!

Peter