Re: [Hampshire] DVD-RAM - is it really this bad?

Author: john eayrs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD-RAM - is it really this bad?

> Hi,
>
> I've just bought an internal IDE DVD writer for burning off-computer
> copies of backups. I got a couple of DVD-RAM disks because they are
> more stable through time and allow far more RW cycles than DVD-RW.
> But unless I'm missing something DVD-RAM really isn't much good for
> what I want it for.
>
> When transferring large files (for example one of my backup archives
> is 1.1GB) I get an average transfer speed around 1MB/s which is
> painfully slow.
>
> The drive says it supports up to 12x (~16MB/s) and the media are rated
> at 3x (~4MB/s). I have no trouble writing CD's at around 8MB/s so
> it's not a limitation of the overall system.
>
> On top of this, I only get 1MB/s with a udf file system on the DVD-RAM
> and the Linux udf system won't handle a file over 1GB. When I put an
> ext2 file system on the DVD-RAM the average transfer speed falls to
> 0.7MB/s.
>
> Is it really this bad? Has anyone had a better experience of DVD-RAM?
>
> TIA, Peter
>
> --

Hi

I have used DVD-RAM

It is nice and fast. It does appear that either the drive is faulty or the
drive parameters needs setting up says me guessing?.

Sometimes it may be that the drive needs a driver to access the hardware or
the hdparams may need tweaking. My linuz IQ is very low so I cannot say
more than this.

John Eayrs