Re: [Hampshire] DVD-RAM - is it really this bad?

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD-RAM - is it really this bad?
On 04/07/07, Peter Salisbury <peterthevicar@???> wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 Jul 2007, Chris Dennis wrote:
> > Peter Salisbury wrote:
> > > Hi,
> 8<
> > > On top of this, I only get 1MB/s with a udf file system on the
> > > DVD-RAM and the Linux udf system won't handle a file over 1GB.
> > > When I put an ext2 file system on the DVD-RAM the average
> > > transfer speed falls to 0.7MB/s.
> > >
> > > Is it really this bad? Has anyone had a better experience of
> > > DVD-RAM?

For what it's worth, DVD+RW appears to be the best solution.
It has a packet write option so can be accessed in a random access fashion.

We had someone at work research the best optical media for longish
term backups. I assumed the answer would be DVD-RAM, but it actually
turned out to be DVD+RW with some verbatim long life media.