Re: [Hampshire] DVD-RAM - is it really this bad?

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD-RAM - is it really this bad?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57edc100.hantslug.org.uk.18613': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jul 6 11:03:58 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 10:41:58AM +0100, Peter Salisbury wrote:
> On Thursday 05 Jul 2007, Chris Dennis wrote:
> > Perhaps there's a clue there to my ext2 problems -- fdisk reports
> > different geometry on my old and new systems.
>
> I'm struggling to think DVD-RAM is worth the effort after another day
> of woes. The latest is that it just won't play nicely with another
> CD/DVD drive on the same cable. I've tried:
> - Two different drives, one by the same manufacturer (LiteOn)
> - 40 wire and 80 wire ribbons
> - Switching off the second drive in the BIOS
> - Swapping Master/Slave
>
> Whatever I do the very presence of another drive on the cable makes
> the system give spurious 'tray open' and 'input output error'
> messages and truncate files over about 150MB. I've updated the
> drive's flash so I suspect it's Linux or the m/board. Presumable even
> an idle drive chats a bit and that must be mucking up a big DMA write
> on the same cable.

This looks, as you suggest, like some kind of protocol failure.

> So I've left the second drive in the PC but disconnected it and it now
> works FINE.
>
> By FINE I mean that I can transfer my backups to the DVD-RAM
> (formatted ext2) at about 1GB/hour, that's around .3 MB/s. I have
> nearly 15GB of backups :-(

This sounds like simple bad hardware. There's no reason for a drive
to behave like that unless something in the system fails to follow the
ATA spec (either through poor design, or through a fault).

The first thing to do would be to test two drives on the same cable
_without_ the DVD-RAM. (i.e. the second drive plus some other drive
entirely). This will rule out the second drive as the source of the
protocol failures. If that all works, then the fault it with the
DVD-RAM drive. At that point, I'd send the hardware back as not fit
for purpose, and get something else.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
   --- In the future, terrorists won't be carrying their ID cards. ---
                   They'll be carrying yours. -- Henry
                         Porter,  Suspect Nation