Re: [Hampshire] Print sharing problem

Author: Simon Reap
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Print sharing problem
On 27/06/07 00:24, Tim B (Systems) said the following:
> Apologies, sent this under the wrong identity.
>
> I don't think that running a VPN client would prevent you seeing the local
> network. Therefore if you share the printer via CUPS or Samba, you should be
> able to access it from all boxes. The VPN client should still allow software
> that requires it to find the printer if it is installed on the local machine.

Some clients *do* block access to any networks other than through the
VPN. Checkpoint's SecureClient (Windows) does, and the commercial Cisco
clients (Windows and Linux) do. The Cisco clients have a switch to say
'allow access to local networks', but server end is able to override
that if it wants to.

Then again, running vpnc from home to a Cisco VPN server, I have access
to my local network, so can use local networked printers.

Simon

This e-mail and any attachment is for authorised use by the intended recipient(s) only. This email contains confidential information. It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any party other than the intended recipient. Any unauthorised distribution, dissemination or copying of this E-mail or its attachments, and/or any use of any information contained in them, is strictly prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this e-mail and any attachment and all copies and inform the sender directly via email. Any emails that you send to us may be monitored by systems or persons other than the named communicant for the purposes of ascertaining whether the communication complies with the law and company policies.