Re: [Hampshire] Print sharing problem

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Print sharing problem
On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 08:19:02 +0100 (+0100), Samuel Penn wrote:

> On Wed, June 27, 2007 00:24, Tim B (Systems) wrote:
> > Apologies, sent this under the wrong identity.
> >
> > I don't think that running a VPN client would prevent you seeing the local
> > network. Therefore if you share the printer via CUPS or Samba, you should

"It depends" is normally the answer - if you are particularly paranoid
then the VPN is set to only allow vpn traffic in (the theory AIUI being
that if someone had hijacked your PC then at least they can't hack
"live" on the box (unless the VPN also allows the traffic).

Could hot swap with USB port if it's not too fiddly. You can get
USB->parallel converters. In fact I have one somewhere I used to use
if you want it.

> That's pretty much what I do. Laptop (MS Windows) on VPN,
> but can still talk to the local printer. I actually talk
> to the printer directly (via IP) rather than using CUPS/Samba,
> because I couldn't get that to work in the 30 seconds I
> dedicated to the task.

I used to do that too, I used magicfilter and had several queues - one
for printer (duplex), one for simplex, one for 2-up duplex printing
etc. OTOH CUPS has one quite nice feature - if I'm on the wrong
network and print (or if the printer is switched off), then it retries
frequently enough that all I have to do is fix the problem (no
kicking of print queue required).

Adrian
--
Email: adrian@??? -*- GPG key available on public key servers