Re: [Hampshire] scripts/basic/Makefile missing

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] scripts/basic/Makefile missing
On Saturday 26 May 2007, Bob Dunlop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, May 26 at 11:07, Peter Salisbury wrote:
> > I have ground to a halt trying to build the nvidia driver for the
> > new 2.6.21 kernel. What I usually do first is go into the
> > linux-headers directory and run
>
> Why are you doing this in a linux-headers directory and not the
> kernel source directory ? I guess debian does something strange
> with the source tree and build structure.
>
> On gentoo the linux-headers package just provides files for
> /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm no Makefiles or scripts
> what-so-ever.
>
> Other kernel build command useful if you think you've got a corrupt
> tree is "make mrproper" just make sure you've backed up your
> .config first.
>
> --
>         Bob Dunlop

Hi Bob,

Usually the headers are all I need, but now we have to work around the
problem of Paravirtualisation being picky about only GPL modules
using it (even if indirectly which gives:
GPL-incompatible module nvidia.ko uses GPL-only symbol 'paravirt_ops')
bringing to mind words like 'foot' and 'shoot' so now it seems we have
to do more than mere headers can manage.

Following your suggestion I installed the full linux-source package,
untared it and symlinked the scripts and arch directories into the
headers. That got the makes going so thanks for that.

There was a day when you could download the appropriate nvidia package
and simply run it. No more! The build process for the GeForce MX 4000
nvidia module in Debian is now something like this, involving about
65MB of downloads (PLEASE tell me I'm wrong!)

install linux-headers
install linux-source
install nvidia-kernel-common
install nvidia-kernel-source-legacy-96xx
cd /usr/src; tar -xzf linux-source
ln -snf linux-source/scripts linux-headers/scripts
ln -snf linux-source/arch linux-headers/arch
cd linux-headers
cat /boot/config | \
sed "s/CONFIG_PARAVIRT=y/# CONFIG_PARAVIRT is not set/" \
>.config

make oldconfig && make prepare
cd /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx
debian/rules binary_modules || exit
dpkg -i ../nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx*.deb
aptitude install nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx

And people say Debian is hard to use!

Thanks for the pointers,

Peter