Re: [Hampshire] scripts/basic/Makefile missing

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] scripts/basic/Makefile missing
On Sat, 26 May 2007 18:15:45 +0100
Peter Salisbury <peterthevicar@???> wrote:

> install linux-headers
> install linux-source
> install nvidia-kernel-common
> install nvidia-kernel-source-legacy-96xx
> cd /usr/src; tar -xzf linux-source
> ln -snf linux-source/scripts linux-headers/scripts
> ln -snf linux-source/arch linux-headers/arch
> cd linux-headers
> cat /boot/config | \
> sed "s/CONFIG_PARAVIRT=y/# CONFIG_PARAVIRT is not set/" \
> >.config
> make oldconfig && make prepare
> cd /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx
> debian/rules binary_modules || exit
> dpkg -i ../nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx*.deb
> aptitude install nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx
>
> And people say Debian is hard to use!

I think I would prefer to do it this way rather than click on some
gui installer thingy and have it all happens behind the scenes
without knowing what is going on.

SuSE used to do this sort of thing several years back , even
complained if you tried doing admin stuff from the command line with
errors like 'you'll mess things up if you don't use xyz'

Turned me right off SuSE and I have never been back :-)

(I think it isn't quite like that these days)

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package