Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge
On 12/05/07, Stephen Davies <stephen.davies@???> wrote:
> Well, after lots of head shaking and much blood, sweat and tears (Not
> really ;-) )
> we got Ubuntu installed on the server alongside CENTOS.
>
> The O/S OOTB hangs when initialising the desktop. Tony W (The winner of
> the prize) dug around and found that the Sound Card was causing the
> problem. This is a Creative SB24 Live. The Desktop wants to play some
> sounds at startup and if the soundcard does not return an answer to the
> play requested (or whatever it is trying to do...) the whole desktop
> startup hangs.

I agree, even if the sound driver was buggy, this should not stop the
desktop starting.

> This is probably a BUG in UBUNTU. Aside from the fact the soundcard was
> not working properly it should not hang the startup. Note that Fedora
> Core 7-Test 4 does not hand at this point and remember that both distros
> are using Gnome.
>
> We removed the soundcard and we were able to install Ubuntu. After the
> install Tony renamed the driver module and we were able to install the
> soundcard again it the boot went through ok.
>
> Ironically, the driver that might be at fault (or it might be the
> application that wants to play the sound, More likely IMHO) is written
> by none other than our very own James Courtier-Dutton (or at least what
> modinfo shows)

Well, unless I can reproduce the problem, I won't be able to fix the
sound driver. Does this problem happen from just booting from the
install CD. So, I could test it without having to install Ubuntu from
new?

Kind Regards

James