Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge

Author: John Cooper
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Result of the Ubuntu Challenge
Stephen Davies wrote:

> This is probably a BUG in UBUNTU. Aside from the fact the soundcard
> was not working properly it should not hang the startup. Note that
> Fedora Core 7-Test 4 does not hand at this point and remember that
> both distros are using Gnome.
>
> <cut>
> From a personal point of view (please don't start a flame war here)
> Ubuntu is actually harder to install than Fedora. Ok, I am more
> familiar with FCx than Ubuntu but I have to do less other stuff with
> Fedora than Ubuntu to get a basic system working on this hardware. If
> the bug in Ubuntu was fixed some of the problems would go away but It
> just seems like this.

A friend had a problem with sound on v7.04 and I have to say I am
disappointed with it after all the hype. Wireless detection is better
though. Looking forward to the release of FC7 and KVM (kernel
virtualisation module), though I need to buy a new processor with IVT or
AMD-V as full virtualisation is required.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk