Re: [Hampshire] Seemless sshing/sshfsing reconnecting

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Seemless sshing/sshfsing reconnecting

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57100100.hantslug.org.uk.4566': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed May 9 11:14:43 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 10:34:40AM +0100, John Hunt wrote:
> Background:
> I use a laptop both at home and work running Ubuntu Feisty. I also use
> gnome-terminal to ssh into a lot of various servers, I also use sshfs
> to create mounts of a few servers so I can access files on them easily
> with the likes of the gimp etc.. I move between work and home on a
> daily basis.
>
> What I'd like to do:
> I'd like to be able to put my laptop into hibernate mode at home, come
> into work, and all of my gnome-terms/sshfs mounts automatically
> seamlessly reconnect to the servers they were hooked up to as though
> I'd never left the house.

Basically, this isn't going to work simply, as you'll have changed
IP address in the meantime, so the TCP connection has effectively been
severed.

I have discovered, however, that OpenVPN will [sometimes] handle
this. OpenVPN uses UDP, and will renegotiate the connection
transparently if it gets dropped, but will preserve the tunnel and all
connections running through it.

Therefore you need to ensure that all of your connections that you
want to be preserved get routed through your OpenVPN connection. You
can then put your OpenVPN server anywhere you like (hosted service,
your own ADSL line), and your connections will appear to come from
there.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
           --- There are three mistaiks in this sentance. ---