[Hampshire] DVD/CDROM problems with Ubuntu Feisty

Author: Adam Cripps
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] DVD/CDROM problems with Ubuntu Feisty
I'm guessing that this is something that happened in the recent update
(from edgy to feisty) as there does seem to be a little activity on
the forums and ML with people who are experiencing something similar.
However, what I seem to lack on the forums is a solution and
so I turn to the lug for help.

I noticed the problem initially when I tried to burn a CD with
gnomebaker which kept prompting me to insert a writeable cd despite
there being one in the tray. I tried a variety of media, but all had the
same results.

After inserting and trying to format it, I got:
"mounted media doesn't appear to be DVD ±RW"

When trying to burn on the command line with growisofs I got:
"media is not recognized as recordable DVD"

When I insert a CD or DVD with data in the drive and try and mount it, I get:
"mount: No medium found"

You can see relevant files at:
http://www.monkeez.org/linux/dmesg.txt
http://www.monkeez.org/linux/fstab.txt

I had to change /etc/fstab from /dev/hdb to /dev/hdd as my DVD has
been at /dev/hdd for ages and still seems to be.

Any tips on further fault-finding or a fix on this?
Thanks in advance.
adam

--
http://www.monkeez.org