[Hampshire] sarge to etch upgrade - signature problems

Author: Simon Reap
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] sarge to etch upgrade - signature problems
I have a SparcStation 10, acting as a simple headless web server, which
I have tried to upgrade from sarge to etch. I changed
/etc/apt/sources.list to point to the Oxford mirror and used apt-get
update and apt-get dist-upgrade.

All went well and everything was upgraded cleanly, except apt, atp-utils
and aptitude. They downloaded OK, but setting them up complained with:

Setting up apt (0.6.46.4-0.1) ...
gpg: key 2D230C5F: no valid user IDs
gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
gpg: key 6070D3A1: no valid user IDs
gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
gpg: key ADB11277: no valid user IDs
gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
gpg: Total number processed: 3
gpg:           w/o user IDs: 3

apt-utils and aptitude then failed because libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6-3.11
wasn't installed.

I have searched the Web and found a few references to the problem, but
fewer to the solution. Most seem to recommend installing
debian-keyring, but every time I try to do that, the apt-get install
first tries to install apt again and again fails. I've tried aptitude
install with the same results.

I would normally, in this case, apt-get purge the offending packages,
then install debian-keyring, then reinstall the failed ones. Except of
course if I purge apt-get, I can't install anything! (I assume that the
apt package include the underlying code for dpkg, too).

Is it possible to get apt to give up, temporarily, trying to setup these
three packages? I've tried an aptitude hold, but it still tried to do
the setup.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Simon