Re: [Hampshire] "Blitz The Wiki" Day!

Author: Daniel Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] "Blitz The Wiki" Day!
Tony Whitmore wrote:
> Daniel Pope wrote:
>> Didn't we have this discussion again recently? I was going to cite my last
>> response but I can't find it now. Did we just have an informal chat on IRC or
>> something?
>
> I think so, but each time we've never been any clearer afterwards about
> what you consider to be wrong in the HTML output. That makes it tough
> for people to even think about implementing. If there were a few faults
> that people could look into fixing, then it would be a starting point.

Maybe I can clarify this with an analogy. What you have asked is akin to "What's
wrong with this screwdriver? Are there a few faults with it we can look into
fixing?" Maybe; maybe not, but I know that most DIY tasks can't be
satisfactorily completed equipped with an electrical screwdriver, a roll of
insulation tape, and a bent bit of metal which has been used for stirring paint.
Shiny new toolboxes are free, and come equipped with every tool one might need,
but someone has to pop down to the ironmonger's to pick one up and carry it back.

Armed with such a toolbox I could happily volunteer to crack on with the DIY.

I don't see it as worthwhile to identify and correct design flaws with our
current screwdriver as applied to any specific DIY task.

> It's hard to see what advantages a move to another wiki would bring when
> we're not sure what the faults are with the existing one.

Usemod doesn't have a templating system or even a Model-View architecture. This
is a deeply-ingrained architectural fault that a switch to another wiki could fix.

Dan