Re: [Hampshire] "Blitz The Wiki" Day!

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] "Blitz The Wiki" Day!

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57357100.hantslug.org.uk.5770': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Apr 29 17:50:06 2007 BST
gpg: using RSA key ED1319F325A97448
Daniel Pope wrote:
> Tony Whitmore wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 01:41:25PM +0100, Daniel Pope wrote:
>>> Could part of this "blitz" involve a move to MoinMoin or some other contemporary
>>> wiki platform and a smidgen of pimping the styles?
>> What is wrong with the HTML produced by the current wiki? People have offered
>> to fix any problems with it which restrict the styling that can be done.
>
> Yes, but that's labouring under the misapprehension that CSS2 is a theming
> language. Customising the HTML generation in Usemod is not the ideal solution
> and is as much work as ditching Usemod and swapping to an actively maintained
> wiki app which would carry this and other advantages as standard.
>
> Didn't we have this discussion again recently? I was going to cite my last
> response but I can't find it now. Did we just have an informal chat on IRC or
> something?

I think so, but each time we've never been any clearer afterwards about
what you consider to be wrong in the HTML output. That makes it tough
for people to even think about implementing. If there were a few faults
that people could look into fixing, then it would be a starting point.

It's hard to see what advantages a move to another wiki would bring when
we're not sure what the faults are with the existing one.

Certainly Alan's suggestion of having a maintenance session on the
existing content wouldn't hurt either way.

Tony