Re: [Hampshire] ref root password recovery

Author: Luke Stutters
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ref root password recovery
--- Peter Brooks <peter@???> wrote:
> On 30/04/07, Stuart Biggs <smbiduk@???> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all
> >
> > I can boot into my PC and get on line etc no probs but
> > when I wanted to download/install some
> > files/progs/apps from the Internet - I needed to know
> > my root password and I discovered to my amazement that
> > I had forget it and it wasn't usual one.
> Hi Stuart, Firstly are you using sudo? if so do 'sudo su'
> to get a root terminal. If not follow below:
> [SNIP]

Or, hold down shift when booting (or something else depending on your
boot loader), look for a 'boot options/arguments' option and add the
word single to the boot options. Then use the passwd command as above.

Here is a better explanation:
http://aplawrence.com/Linux/lostlinuxpassword.html

--
Luke Stutters