[Hampshire] [Games] Any Transgaming/Cedega Users Out There?

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [Games] Any Transgaming/Cedega Users Out There?
I am looking to finally (almost) rid my machine of Windows. Up until
recently the main reason for keeping Windows was the fact that I enjoy a
spot of gaming and couldn't be doing with the effort required to get
newer games up and running under Linux

So, having spent less the 20 hours gaming since Christmas I decided that
I might as well convert my XP Pro build to a smaller VMware image and
claw back some the 60Gb it is currently occupying. However, while I was
pulling off the data from my C: drive in preparation for this event I
happened to see a number of well-loved gaming titles that brought a
nostalgic tear to my eye. Who can forget the first time you run through
the red mist that lingers after converting a fellow player to giblets in
Quake 3*, after all? <sniff>

Anyway, to cut this drivel short, I don't want to burn my bridges
completely as far as gaming is concerned and wondered if Cedega is worth
the £36 a year they are charging for it? Does it off-set the effort
touched upon above? Is the performance equal to running native under
Windows? How long does it take on average for new games to get support?
If you can answer any of these questions or provide any input for that
matter I'd be glad to hear it. Apart from 'Grow up and get a life!',
that is...

;o)

Sean

* a bad example, I know, since most recent ID titles will run on Linux.