Re: [Hampshire] Securely deleting files

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Securely deleting files
* Hugo Mills (hugo@???) wrote:
> > Deletion method                 |Good for      |Relative
> > --------------------------------+--------------+----------
> > rm <file>                       |general use   | 1 (std)
> > over write with random data     |??            | 10
> > over write with random data x10 |??            | 1000
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > melt and grind platters         |US Military   | 1x10^??
> > nuke from orbit                 |Nobody :-)    | 1x10^??

>    This is a bit simplistic. You need to detail the threat model, and
> examine the value of the data being destroyed, the resources available
> to potential attackers, and the amount of money and effort that
> attackers are willing to spend on retrieving that data. Simply saying
> "Good for US Military" is pretty much meaningless.

It was meant to be simple. That was the point. If somebody asks "how
do I delete this file for good", being told to melt the platters in
a furnace and then grind down the resulting blob and then scatter
that dust to the four corners of the earth, is not really very
meaningful, or helpful. :-)

What I was after was, do X, and your mum won't be able to recover
it, do Y and your average geek won't be able to recover it, or do Z
and only the most determined expert with allot of resource and
motivation could possibly recover it.

--
Philip Stubbs
http://www.stuphi.co.uk