Re: [Hampshire] Securely deleting files

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Securely deleting files

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x583e8100.hantslug.org.uk.10344': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Mar 8 12:05:09 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 11:48:15AM +0000, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> * Hugo Mills (hugo@???) wrote:
> >    As Mat says, the only truly "safe" way is to nuke it from orbit
> > (or, more plausibly, use a furnace and an angle-grinder on the
> > platters).

> This always makes me laugh. How necessary is it to go to this
> length? I know not many people do, but I would be interested to
> quantify the relative value of each data deleting technique. I will
> try and start a table, and if anybody has any info to add, please
> do.
>
> Deletion method                 |Good for      |Relative
> --------------------------------+--------------+----------
> rm <file>                       |general use   | 1 (std)
> over write with random data     |??            | 10
> over write with random data x10 |??            | 1000
> .
> .
> .
> melt and grind platters         |US Military   | 1x10^??
> nuke from orbit                 |Nobody :-)    | 1x10^??

This is a bit simplistic. You need to detail the threat model, and
examine the value of the data being destroyed, the resources available
to potential attackers, and the amount of money and effort that
attackers are willing to spend on retrieving that data. Simply saying
"Good for US Military" is pretty much meaningless.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
    --- You can't expect a boy to be depraved until he's gone to ---
                             a good school.