Re: [Hampshire] Securely deleting files

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Securely deleting files
* Hugo Mills (hugo@???) wrote:
>    As Mat says, the only truly "safe" way is to nuke it from orbit
> (or, more plausibly, use a furnace and an angle-grinder on the
> platters).

This always makes me laugh. How necessary is it to go to this
length? I know not many people do, but I would be interested to
quantify the relative value of each data deleting technique. I will
try and start a table, and if anybody has any info to add, please
do.

Deletion method                 |Good for      |Relative
--------------------------------+--------------+----------
rm <file>                       |general use   | 1 (std)
over write with random data     |??            | 10
over write with random data x10 |??            | 1000
.
.
.
melt and grind platters         |US Military   | 1x10^??
nuke from orbit                 |Nobody :-)    | 1x10^??

--
Philip Stubbs
http://www.stuphi.co.uk