Re: [Hampshire] DVD ripping

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD ripping

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57e11100.hantslug.org.uk.16413': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Mar 4 13:03:16 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Saturday 03 March 2007 14:34, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> This isn't particularly Linux, but please bear with me - a few questions:
>
> 1) Am I right in saying you can copy DVDs to your hard disk or whatever if
> you own the DVD? I presume this is as legal as ripping CDs to our mp3
> players which as far as I know is legal

It depends where you live. Some countries such as the US have a fair use
clause, and backup for personal use is considered fair use. I believe that
New Zealand recently explicitly stated that ripping your own CD for backup or
to some other format was fair use, as long as you weren't distributing
copies.

While most people feel that backup or ripping is fair in the UK I believe that
it is currently not allowed. Having said that, using a PVR/video-recorder to
time shift a TV or radio program isn't technically legal either - though
everyone does it. From what I understand the law is woefully out of date, and
various parties want it strengthening/weakening/clarifying...

I would be interested in knowing exactly what is the current legal postion in
the UK on media is.

> I've spent an hour googling and downloading various tools which are
> supposed to do the job but they're all failing for some reasons ranging
> from only ripping the first 30 minutes to ripping in German and not
> offering to rip in any other language. Nor can I find any "off the shelf"
> solutions. Everything that I've found offering a product is a site I've
> never heard of so I'm hardly likely to throw my credit card details at it!
> If the price was right, I'd be happy to buy a tool, but there don't seem
> to be any tools. Am I missing something here?

I'm told that k9copy will duplicate a DVD, but I can't speak from a position
of authority having not used it.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Like dreams, statistics are a form of wish fulfilment.
    -- Jean Baudrillard