Re: [Hampshire] DVD ripping

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD ripping
On Saturday 03 March 2007 14:40, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Rob Malpass wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > This isn't particularly Linux, but please bear with me - a few questions:
> > 1) Am I right in saying you can copy DVDs to your hard disk or
> > whatever if you own the DVD? I presume this is as legal as ripping
> > CDs to our mp3 players which as far as I know is legal
> > 2) If so, can anyone suggest some decent (free) software to do so?
> > Linux or Windows would be fine.
>
> I had some success with dvd::rip (it ripped a show to my hard drive),
> but I am still looking for some help with extracting the audio only.

I've used dvdrip before, and it works okay though takes a lot of
fiddling around to get it right. It's almost easier to use transcode
directly.

Sean, you might want to look at the -m option on transcode. For example:

transcode -i file.mpg -y raw,ogg -m out.ogg

It extracts the audio track to a separate file. However, my experiments
just now always resulted in something that played much too fast. There's
probably some options to get the speed right, though transcode is not
the simplest of programs.

I've still looking for a "dotherightthing <input> <output>" type of
program for video ripping, with just an option for final resolution.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???