Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up
Here goes.

 1 Dell Sc1420 Server (2.8Ghz Xeon, 3Gb Ram) - Windows Server 2003 -
Websphere Dev Validation/Test System
 1 Dell Sc1420 Server As above                          - Centos 4.4 -
Websphere Dev/Test System -

VMWare Server (SUSE, Solaris 10, Server 2003 or Centos 4.4)
 1 Homegrown 2.8Ghz Xeon, 2Gb Ram               - Windows Server 2003 -
Main App Dev System
 1 Homegrown 1.86Ghz Dual Core 2Gb Ram      - Fedora Core 6, Core 7 Test
or Centos 4.4 - System being built at the moment.
 1 Dell Inspiron 8600 Laptop  2Gb Ram              - XP - General
Workhorse - Main Photoshop System - Dual boots with

- Centos 4.4
 1 IBM Stinkpad T43P 2Gb Ram                        - Windows Server
2003 - Db2, Oracle, Websphere

(MQ, WBI, Process Server, MQe etc)
1 Sun Server 1000, 4Gb Ram                             - Solaris 9, Sun
Dev Box - Keeps my garage worm in Winter.
1 Apple Mac Mini  (PPC)                                   - Fedora Core
6, Subversion & Bugzilla Server

The two laptops enable me to have a luggable develoment system when I go
on Customer visits.
Bear in mind that I am a professional Software Developer who works from
home. (I have been working for the last year on the extension to the
London Congestion Charging System.)

The Dell SC1420;s are interesting. The run RHEL, SUSE, Knoppix and
Fedora Core without problem. They refuse to correctly load Ubuntu at all
(X does not start). I think I might set one up at the next meeting and
issue a "Get Ubuntu working on this system). Note that Ubuntu works in a
VMWare environment on this system. The graphics card is an ordinary
Nvidia 5200 which is not exactly exotic.

Stephen D