Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:37:41 +0000
Fintan Gaughan wrote:

> what's your set up at home? do you have a mail server website
> server? if so what's distro?

A year or so ago I converted the integral garage into an office and
in the process installed cat5 cabled sockets and mains power sockets
around 3 walls at desktop level. I didn't provide enough power
sockets as it turned out so still have to use a couple of 4way
extensions.

System currently is:

DLink            Netgear
ADSL     <--->    8 port    <--> Local network
Modem            Switch

The DLink currently provides DHCP and forewall services to the 3
boxes permanently running 24x7 and any other boxes I might want up
to the max of 8 allowed for by the switch (The DLink does have some
spare ports but I haven't even thought of using them)

My main system is an AMD Athlon box running Debian Sid with
WindowMaker. I've only had this box a few weeks having got it from a
HantsLugger. Used for email and web stuff including access to my
Geneweb data.

My wife has a Intel box running W2K patched more or less up to date.
She is (quite happily) banned from using IE/Outlook and has
Opera/Eudora instead. I am trying to wean her off windows but have
the problem she uses several (genealogy related) apps that won't run
under wine.

I have a server that is really overkill for the job it does. Saxon
badged with 3 scsi drives in hot swappable bays in a Raid2 array,
Tape, Zip and floppy drives for backing up none of which I use as I
back-up the data across the network. OS is of course Debian - testing
in this case. Primary function is to run Geneweb, a genealogy
database server accessed via a browser.

I have a ThinkPad 600E which was bought primarily for taking to LUG
meets and rarely gets fired up other than to update the OS, Debian
testing.

At the moment I have two other boxes in the office in course of being
setup.

The AMD Sempron box has Debian Sid running KDE which I hope to use to
get SWMBO used to idea of using Linux. KDE looks more like her W2K
setup than does Gnome by default

The last box has Celeron processor and is the one I failed to get
Ubuntu 6.10 running on. Currently has Debian testing installed but is
going to have ClarkConnect installed when it stops raining and I can
go down to the shed where I keep other bits and pieces of Computing
stuff like a P111 box with Win98 on it or a old Mac Laser Printer
until such time as I can take it to Jamies.

I don't have any hard drive bigger than 30Gig and the scsi drives are
only 6.3 each but none of them are more than 50% used. I never
download/rip CDs or run videos so I don't need more storage.

We never play games so don't need any fancy hardware. All boxes
except the P111 have 512M ram which is adequate but I'd up this
to 1G if I could source suitable memory.

--
John Lewis
Debian Linux with Geneweb genealogy application