Re: [Hampshire] Executing a command on a list of files?

Author: Daniel Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Executing a command on a list of files?
Andy Random wrote:
> However in future I guess there might be (IMO spaces in filenames are evil
> and should be outlawed, but sadly not everyone agrees with me)

I tend to have a mental distinction between directories that I intend to be
exposed to the commandline/web, and directories that are for manipulation with
GUI apps.

But it's always better to use the space-safe commandline techniques just in
case, as the unsafe versions can do damage.

> Both the machines I've tried it on (one FC one Debian) are using
> GNU xargs version 4.1.20, any idea which version I need to support -I?

My installed version is 4.2.28.

To be honest, I usually use -i, but the manpage says this is deprecated and to
use -I instead.

Dan