Re: [Hampshire] Continuing problems with GRUB [was: problems…

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Continuing problems with GRUB [was: problems with editing GRUB}
On Saturday 17 Feb 2007 19:49, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 19:41 +0000, hantslug@??? wrote:
> > But I appreciate the tip -and shall now try your other tips. I'm not
> > proud about which distro - even a SuSE file would get a hearing. ;-)
> > _Something_ must work, because people do it successfully.
>
> Kubuntu? Is this not the machine I installed Kubuntu on last weekend?

Yes - I'm afraid that the saga continues. I'll give you a full explanation
some time - you deserve it after all your hard work. Not that from my point
of view it was a waste of time - I learnt an awful lot - but I can't and
don't expect you to feel like that.

I was kicking myself when I realised that I had let that slip.

> > Thank you very much - and thank you to Hugo. I really must get over my
> > "fear" of IRC. (Based on my very poor typing and the impossibility of
> > lurking to see whether I feel that I could cope.)
>
> Why is it impossible to lurk? People do it all the time. Just join and
> dont say anything. That's lurking.

I can't do it invisibly. I was able to do it invisibly initially on the
mailing list. To me invisibility is part of lurking. To be able to only be
visible after delurking. I could, of course, lurk under a pseudonym, but I
find thinking of a pseudonym for myself impossible. When a friend included
me in a book she was writing she asked me to give myself a pseudonym, and
after several days of agonising I told her just to use my name.

Anyway, I thought that not saying hello counted as bad etiquette? :-(

Lisi