Re: [Hampshire] Is it safe to delete... (Episode 2 of virus …

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is it safe to delete... (Episode 2 of virus saga)

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 hantslug@??? wrote:

> I have tried this - but I find it impossible to tell which individual mail it
> is in.

Have you tried sorting by or filtering on emails with attachments?

I'd expect you could significantly reduce the number of email you need to
check manually that way. Then work your way through those looking for
suspect attachments and moving everything that looks dodgy to a new
"quarantine" folder.

I'm not sure how Thunderbird does compression on its mail folders, but
having been through it all you'd need to make sure the emails were really
removed from the Inbox not just marked as removed and not displayed by
Thunderbird.

Then run the virus scanner again and hopefully only the quarantine folder
will be reported as infected.

Andy