[Hampshire] Printers

Author: Samuel Penn
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Printers

Hi,

It's about time I got myself a new printer. My current one is a
Canon BJC-4650, an A3 colour ink jet that works with Linux (it
was bought about 10 years ago to work with RISC OS), but is slow
and it's getting hard to find ink cartridges for it now.

What I'm really after is a colour A3 duplex printer, which can
print multiple pages a minute (rather than the multiple minutes
per page that I'm currently getting). I'm not adverse to paying
a few hundred quid for it, but I am worried about cost of
replacement cartridges.

My printing mostly consists of large amounts of black text with
some colour plus colour maps and diagrams, so I'm not too bothered
about photographic quality but do need colour.

Any suggestions? Obviously it's got to work well with Linux.

Inkjets are cheaper, especially on the cartridges, and A3 inkjets
aren't too expensive. I've never seen a duplex inkjet, but that's
not too much of an issue since sticking paper in a second time
to print on the back works fine.

Lasers seem to be quicker, and do duplex. A3 lasers are totally
outside my price range. My experience with lasers is that they
jam a lot if you pass paper through a second time, so really need
to be duplex, but I'd have to drop the A3.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???