[Hampshire] Scanning cheques, was Accessing a scanner via th…

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Scanning cheques, was Accessing a scanner via the LAN

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56f76100.hantslug.org.uk.6169': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Feb 4 16:34:40 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 08:29 -0600, Mike Burrows wrote:
> The application is depositing scanned cheques into a bank account
> online, so I'm not sure this would work but I'll give it a try.

This reminds me of some spam I received about 8 years ago. The ruse was
a multi-level-marketing thing for "cheap phone calls" where you get a
cut of calls made by your "downline".

I replied to the guy who sent the spam. Yeah, yeah, I know you shouldn't
ever reply to spam, but this was send from one guy on his own computer
using a bunch of email addresses he'd harvested.

I clearly told him that the scheme he was proposing woudln't work, and
more importantly that I wasn't interested. He remonstrated with me over
email that it did work and that he was expecting a cheque any day now.

After about the 3rd or 4th mail of telling him to "Go Away" he finally
sent me a scanned in image of a cheque. It was made out to him for a
fairly modest amount of money.

However all it took was 5 seconds and some average-quality eyesight to
determine that he had taken a completely different cheque, scanned it in
and paintbrushed (not photoshopped) the name and amount out and put in
his own name and some arbitrary value. He even cc:ed his "upline" to get
more corroboration that this hare-brained scheme would work.

Eventually after considerable mails on my part they went away, but it
staggered me to think that people might actually believe a scam like
that.

Is that what they're doing Mike? :)

Cheers,
Al.