Re: [Hampshire] Robotic Sailing talk, Monday 3rd October (S…

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Robotic Sailing talk, Monday 3rd October (Southampton Python group)
** Gordon Scott via Hampshire <hampshire@???> [2016-09-28 10:55]:
> On 27/09/16 14:03, Thomas Kluyver via Hampshire wrote:
> >hear about how we used Python and Linux to make a boat sail itself,
>
> :-> Hmm, but my 86 year old gaff yawl does that, up to a point at least,
> with no robotics at all :->
>
> Why would I want a robot if I can just lash the tiller, trim the mizzen and
> sit back and marvel at what the old lady does all on her own?

** end quote [Gordon Scott via Hampshire]

Because you can? ;)

I use an ancient Autohelm if I want an upgrade from lashing the tiller (which I
used to use a couple of jam cleats for on my last boat - RIP). Both current and
previous boats came read to install the Haslar self stearing gear which used no
electronics, although if the wind changed direction so would you!

I was actually chatting about this at the last PLUG meeting and hope I can make
the talk. If you look at the web page [1] you'll see that the boat in question
is somewhat smaller that either of our boats (well, bar my model ones!).

I did consider starting a LUG regarding using Linux on boats, but thought my
planned name of NautiLUG might have drawn the wrong membership - maybe that's
why the LUG never actually setup the lists for me ;)

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | https://www.aptanet.com/ | 023 9238 0001
Vice Chair, FSB Portsmouth & SE Hampshire Branch | http://www.fsb.org.uk/