Re: [Hampshire] Robotic Sailing talk, Monday 3rd October (S…

Author: Gordon Scott
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Robotic Sailing talk, Monday 3rd October (Southampton Python group)

On 28/09/16 12:12, Thomas Kluyver via Hampshire wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2016, at 10:54 AM, Gordon Scott via Hampshire wrote:
>> Why would I want a robot if I can just lash the tiller, trim the mizzen
>> and sit back and marvel at what the old lady does all on her own?
> A speaker introducing the conference after the competition did trace the
> history of autonomous sailing back to Francis Drake rigging fire ships
> to be blown into the Spanish Armada. We were trying to achieve a bit
> more control, however!

And hopefully less fire :-)

I remember an article some years ago about a robot auto-navigation
voyage in which, as so often happens in cars, they'd put in a slightly
wrong name and the yacht ended up on the west coast of America, rather
than in Wales.

It was an April issue, but I feel sure the story was true :-)

Gordon.