[Hampshire] Help! Speaker(s) and or helpers/teachers needed …

Author: Lisi Reisz
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Help! Speaker(s) and or helpers/teachers needed for August.
Anyone? Our speaker having had to reschedule, we are left without a speaker
for our next meeting. Whilst that gives us an especially good opportunity to
offer help to newbies, and find solutions to members' problems, many people
come largely for the talk. Then find enjoyment in the chat and help.

One of our best ever meetings resulted from a large number of people coming to
hear a popular talk that was cancelled at 11:30 the night before, so few
people had seen that it had been cancelled. So If no-one volunteers to plug
the speaker gap, please come anyway! We might have a marvellous meeting,
but we need people to achieve that!

We could do with those who need teaching, and those able to teach. Most of us
come in both categories.

Perhaps a few of us/you could just give short (under 5 minutes) demonstrations
of something new, difficult or exciting. I would like to be helped with
ssh-ing over the internet. To that end, I will try to sort out leaving my
home network in a ssh-able state. I don't mind doing the ssh-ing publicly,
as it were, if someone will volunteer to help. Anything else elementary that
someone has a block over that could do with help??

Someone came to our last meeting expressly to have help installing Linux in a
dual boot with Windows. Jack already had a Linux installation but wanted to
replace it, and wanted help to make sure that he overwrote the correct thing
and ended up with a fully bootable Windows/Linux dual boot.

As so often, Aidan helped (with a bit of extra help from Paul), and I think
that Jack went away happy. :-) Thanks to Aidan's explanation, I have for the
first time a beginning of an understanding of the differences between
Cinnamon and Mate. ;-)

Those of you who like a particular Desktop Environment/Window Maker/Manager
could tell us about it. I have just been looking up the differences in
general, and it is fascinating!

So come on, ideas and offers!

Lisi