Re: [Hampshire] avconv

Author: Ben Parsonage
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] avconv
On 11/03/16 12:17, Peter Alefounder wrote:

Gordon Scott asked:
Ben Parsonage said:

I have a hypothesis that you are producing VBR mp3s that your player
does not support.

I think it does. However, I don't know enough about this to understand
how a file can be both, say, 128kb/s and VBR.

There are at least 2 diffrent ways for mp3 to cope with vbr. Lame man has some info on this. This could be why a sansa clip could read some but not all (complete guess work on my part) . If lame is available you could try:
Flac -> wav -> mp3 old vbr
. . . . . . . . . . .-> mp3 new vbr

(Personally for this I would use lame, but using avconv or ffmpeg should work.)

On a single file by hand, see what works and what doesn't. Then when it works try out a few qualities to see what is acceptable.

VBR can have the ABR (average bit rate) set. This true to maximise quality by allowing "simpler sections to be encoded with a low but rate and a more complex section can use more but over the file it should preserve a constant size/period