Re: [Hampshire] avconv

Author: Ben Parsonage
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] avconv
Not sure if this will solve your issue but I use mp3fs to convert my flacs to mp3.
Once set up (can be done though fstab). It provide a file system containing mp3 files that corresponds to the stored music in the input directory.

The files are lazily converted in 2 stages. This means that if you run an ls on the dir it will only convert the file names and make an estimate of the final file size. Upon trying to access it will start the conversion this is generally fast enough for play back but can make contact notable slower.

No support for variable bit rate (VBR) (well when I set it up) . I find this system really useful.

As for your problem I don't really know. But I have a hypothesis that you are producing VBR mp3s that your player does not support. Like I said this is only a guess. Possible try forcing a constant bit rate (CBR) mp3. Using the --cbr flag in lame check man page for avconv or any other software.

If you think your player should support vbr then you may need the old vbr algorithm.

Check out lame manual it really is very informative and gives insight to the mp3 format without having to trawl the standard including the one your mp3 player uses.

If you just want to get this to work, you may be best off converting from flac to wav, then use your normal method to go from wav to mp3.

Hope some of the above may help.

Ben