Re: [Hampshire] GMANE integration with HantsLUG

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GMANE integration with HantsLUG

Hi Dom,

Sorry for the late reply I've been away for 3 weeks.

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016, Dom Rodriguez wrote:

> I currently use GMANE (https://gmane.org) for my newsgroups at the
> moment, and found that HantsLUG (or any UK LUG mailing list for that matter, AFAIK)
> wasn't on the server.

I'd not heard of GMANE until this post, but as far as I know no, it's not
on that server. I'd also point out that this is a mailing list not a
newsgroup and that they are two quite different things, but that might
just be the pedant in me talking...

> If HantsLUG (or any other UK LUG mailing list) was to be added to GMANE,
> what would you guys think about it?

Where and how the list is archived has been a very hot topic in the past,
and some people have very strong feeling on the subject.

However the list is a very different place now than it was 5 or 10 years
ago and since no one has leaped in and screamed "NO!" or made any kind of
comment at all then I'm guessing most of the people with strong feelings
on the subject are no longer paying much attention to the list.

The biggest concern would be publicising people's email addresses to a
wider forum, assuming GMANE anonymises email addresses and that the
archiving started from now, with some announcement to the list, rather
than importing the whole archive I doubt anyone would care either way.

If GMANE doesn't hide user email addresses or you are proposing a whole
scale import of the archives, that is probably not very acceptable.

As for other LUG lists, each LUG is a separate entity, you would have to
ask each one individually for their opinion.

         Andy
--
     Andrew Ransom
  [Hants LUG List Admin]