Re: [Hampshire] NTFS and Linux

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NTFS and Linux

> > I am considering getting an external hard drive for use as a back-up
> > device

> Good you should make a back up

An aside...

FWIW, my backup system involves an additional PC, running backupPC, in
the loft of my garage.

That way the backups are done automatically and the copy is essentially
off site because the garage is the other side of a physical firewall.
Anywhere separated is better than having both copies in the same
building. Garden shed, friendly neighbour, even an outside tool storage
chest. Linux is brilliant in that you can recycle old PCs for jobs like
this. Try St. James if you have no spare PC. I bought a low-cost ITX
for energy consumption reasons, but how well that really adds up with
embodied energy I couldn't say.

Gordon.

--
Gordon Scott.    Electronics and software engineering.
        Basingstoke UK

But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh
we deprive a soul of the sun and light,
and of that proportion of life and time
it had been born into the world to enjoy.
=== Plutarch AD44-120