Re: [Hampshire] Linux friendly printer

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux friendly printer
On Sunday 22 November 2015 00:45:23 jlk@??? wrote:
> I just purchased a Samsung M2830DW You can run it either wired via
> USD/Ethernet or via Wifi. Meets you 600 DPI requirements. A local
> office supply shop had one on sale with free next day delivery for $50
> USD and it works with Google Cloud Print, so it was a buy for me.
>
> It was a pain to set up Wifi, but once I got it on the wired network,
> it was relatively straight forward to configure via a web interface.
>
> On 2015-11-21 12:48, Adam John Trickett wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My elder Epson ink-jet printer has become increasingly unstable
> > (mechanical
> > failure I'm sure). I'm looking for a laser printer to replace it.
> > Requirements
> > are:
> >
> > 1) Wired networked
> >
> > 2) 600dpi, I don't need to pay for higher, but it's okay if it's
> > higher
> >
> > 3) Duplex would be nice but is not essential.
> >
> > 4) Must work with Linux
> >
> > 5) USB or parallel port okay but not essential if wired network is
> > there.
> >
> > 6) Postscript nice but not essential if Linux (CPUS) driver works
> > perfectly
> >
> > 7) Low volume printing - don't need heavy duty cycle but don't want
> > toner to
> > "go off" if unused for months at at time
> >
> > 8) Don't need a scanner function etc
> >
> > 9) A4 Only.
> >
> > Any suggestions? I've no brand loyalty.
> >
> > --
> > Adam Trickett
> > Overton, HANTS, UK
> >
> > In a world without walls - who needs windows?
> >     -- anon

I have used various Samsungs both for myself and for other people. They are
very Linux friendly and have great support; once you get through to the
second tier, that is - but I have the name and direct contact details of the
current Linux chap and he is quite happy for me to pass them on. Most Just
Work.

My own ML-1510 is also proving very durable and is very cheap to run, having
been very cheap to buy in the first place.

Lisi