Re: [Hampshire] New Forest Solar

Author: Roger Munford
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] New Forest Solar
There is a clever piece of software which I believe originated in Sweden
that can calculate roofspace, elevation and shadow from trees from 3D
surveys and hence solar potential.
Southampton University have done this survey and conclude that 40% of
the city's electricity could be supplied by solar.

The trouble is it is very expensive to cover thousands of small
individual sites whereas a large site is much easier to build and so
much cheaper. I agree that it is much preferable to use existing roofs
but there are many reasons why owners cant or dont want to.

At Lymington, the solar farm was built on an old landfill site and is
managed by the Hants Wildlife trust to encourage wildlife and improve
the land. The mounting systems use only about 3% of the site and can be
removed completely.

Renewables are the only tools that we have to avoid catastrophic climate
change which would be very intrusive indeed.

Roger