Re: [Hampshire] Dead server

Author: Full Circle Podcast
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Dead server
Swapping ram sticks between slots and repeating tests by logical process of
deduction *should* reveal a breakdown and it may only be one defective chip
on the stick, so temperature, running time and usage will combine to
produce an irritatingly intermittent fault.

Engineering and material tolerances aren't what they used to be with
cheaper components.

Two sets of cheap brand new Dell compatible memory failed out of the box
this year looking very like this case.

(power supply issue possible but not what I'd bet on. An old motherboard
heating up and delaminating internally is also possible).

RC

On 19 May 2015 at 21:18, Leo <linux@???> wrote:

> So with the memory mapping on, the torture test didn't hit any errors. So
> I'm tempted to use this as a short-term solution, and then at the weekend
> I'll looking at swapping the sticks around.
>
> For anyone that's interested: you can do this (on debian) by editing
> /etc/default/grub and to the line that begins:
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=
> add something like:
> memmap=100M\\\$800M
> which will tell the kernel not to use the 100MB of memory starting at
> 800MB.
>
> Leo
>
> On 17/05/15 12:13, Neil Stone wrote:
>
>> Before you do... swap them 1 for 1... you can possibly identify which
>> stick is faulty...
>>
>> On 17 May 2015 12:09, "Leo" <linux@???
>> <mailto:linux@fractal.me.uk>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hmmm, hadn't thought of that either. There's four slots and two
>>     sticks. So I could move the two sticks to the free slots. I'm
>>     running another mprime test at the mo, so I'll give that a go later.

>>     Thanks,
>>     Leo

>>     On 17/05/15 12:06, Neil Stone wrote:

>>         What happens if you swap the ram slots (assume you have more
>>         than one
>>         ram stick) ?

>>         On 17 May 2015 12:02, "Leo" <linux@???
>>         <mailto:linux@fractal.me.uk>
>>         <mailto:linux@fractal.me.uk <mailto:linux@fractal.me.uk>>> wrote:

>>              Unfortunately none of my computers share the same RAM type
>>         so I'd
>>              have to purchase some more for that. So I thought I'd give
>> this
>>              memory mapping a go first.

>>              Leo

> --