Re: [Hampshire] Python GUI

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Python GUI
Hi Ally,

Hm, well, I've been programming for years and years, in many languages,
but I'm relatively new to Python. Quite a few languages I used to use
are now dead and gone ... sometimes for the best :-)

A little background. Mostly my work is embedded, usually soft
real-time. I do write stuff for PCs, but it's more often than not
front-ends for the embedded stuff. I tend to use visual Tcl most of the
time for that, as it's very effective and has been pretty stable for
years.

I have for ages been trying to settle on a GUI-builder that, ideally at
least, works with all or most of the PC-related languages with which I
work, mostly Ruby, Python, Tcl, C/C++. Glade seems to do that.

Part of my frustration here was that Glade-2 was persistently crashing
on my system, so I tried the newer Glade-3, which is a bit different,
but fine. But I failed to get Python2.7 to work with the xml from
Glade-3, mostly I think because a number of names have changed both in
the Gtk packages and in the xml. Python3.4 seems to be working with it.

I think it's likely that Python2 will stay around for quite some time,
and personally I tend to be fairly conservative about changing. Not
because I object to change, but because there are always early problems
and I have enough stuff of my own to deal with without spending ages
getting tools to work properly.

That said, Python at 3.4 should be pretty stable by now, so I have no
qualms about using it.

One thing I don't like about Python is one of the things so many others
seem to like. Blocks defined solely by indent. It sounds reasonable
enough, but you have only inadvertently to indent some code one
character too few to totally break a program. I like unambiguous
blocks.

Ruby is nice. All other things being equal, I personally prefer Ruby,
but any good language is fine.

religiously I'm a sceptic. I doubt, though don't deny, the existence of
a god. That includes me :-)

Gordon.