Re: [Hampshire] HantsLUG / Southampton Makerspace

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HantsLUG / Southampton Makerspace
On 18/01/15 14:01, Benjie Gillam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I realise from the website HantsLUG hasn't met for a fair while - and we've offered before when we were much smaller - but I just wanted to let you know that now So Make It have moved into a larger space (~1200 sqft) you're still welcome to meet there (no cost, though donations are welcome!).
>
> The new space is really quite large compared to our older space, hopefully some photos from our grand opening yesterday give a good impression of the size:
>
> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.588087417988342.1073741853.269112773219143&type=3
> (You don't need a Facebook account to view this link.)
>
> I'm afraid I'm overwhelmed with email these days so I'm not following the mailing list like I used to - please feel free to contact me off-list if I seem to have missed a response!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Benjie.

Hello Benjie

Thanks for that for that offer. It would be great if HantsLUG could rouse itself and start meeting again. I've been wondering if the thought of tinkering with Linux isn't in itself enough of a reason for people to turn out these days. Perhaps the added attraction of 3D printers, Raspberry Pi's, quadcopters, Daleks, etc. will motivate people again.

Does anyone else on this list agree? If so, this is the place to discuss it and make some plans.

HantsLUG used to meet on Saturdays, and I know that's a day when the So Make It space is already busy. But I'm sure we could find another suitable time to meet.

BTW, I was at the SoMakeIt open day on Saturday -- very impressive. I was amazed that there were so many people, and not just bearded types with soldering irons in their back pockets, but normal people of all ages with partners and children and everything. I hope it all continues to flourish as it deserves to.

Cheers,

Chris