Re: [Hampshire] Munich Council was: (no subject)

Author: Daniel Llewellyn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Munich Council was: (no subject)
On 21 August 2014 20:38, pavithran <pavithran.s@???> wrote:

> On 21 August 2014 13:16, Samuel Penn <sam@???> wrote:
> > We use Zimbra in house, which provides an Exchange-like solution with
> email,
> > address book and calendaring. It syncs with mobiles via the Exchange
> > interface,
> > so you get calendars and emails on your phone as well.
> Kolab or KDE PIM can be apt-get installed while Zimbra can't be as far
> as I know from the default packages !
> Zimbra also needs a form to be filled :P
> Anyways I am sure corporations or governments hardly care about it.
>
> Has anyone tried running zimbra on a local machine like desktop or
> laptop , is it worth it ?

Zimbra in it's normal MTA form (the webapp comes as part of the MTA
package) is designed to be run on an always-on system which accepts inbound
SMTP from the internet. They do, however, provide an MUA in the form of a
desktop-packaged version of their webapp without the SMTP and POP/IMAP
server last I heard. This desktop package connects to another SMTP/POP/IMAP
server such as the MTA-form of Zimbra or Exchange or Postfix/Dovecot for
the actual sending and receiving of email.

--
Daniel Llewellyn