[Hampshire] Touch-screens et al.

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Touch-screens et al.
On Thu, 2014-08-21 at 00:11 +0100, Joseph Bennie wrote:

> touch is just evil! give me a mouse and keyboard anytime.

Real men, of course, use only the command line :-)

I have a few touch devices and, with the exception of the 'phone, they
all _also_ have mouse-ish interfaces and a real keyboard. I use the
interface that best suits the task.

But here's the thing. I've used a mouse for many years now and with the
amount of clicking increasing as more and more applications fail to
offer a key-press alternative and/or applications are so complex one
can't remember them all anyway, has left me with some wrist problems.
I've managed (so far) to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome, but I've been
suffering with bruising to the ulnar nerve, causing significant pain in
my wrist and pain and/or numbness right down my little finger. I now
have mice, trackballs, touch-pads, Wacom tablet and a "vertical mouse"
(http://www.posturite.co.uk/ergonomic-mice-keyboards/vertical-mice/penguin-mouse.html). And before anyone asks, no it doesn't vibrate. That particular model just felt "right" for a Linux user :-)

Mice are evil too, I'm afraid. Ho Hum.

Gordon.