Re: [Hampshire] Weird DNS issues

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Weird DNS issues

This is an aside to Adam's mail, but has proven useful to me.

Some time back I had some persistent ADSL troubles, that eventually
proved to be an unstable interface card in the BT box down the road.

However .. during the troubleshooting phase one suggestion was to
disconnect my router both from power and from the telephone line "for
fifteen minutes". My initial reaction was "that's silly, the router
will reset much quicker than that". The ISP's response was "yes it
will, but it takes that long for our routers to knock down all of your
route, then when you do reconnect it will set up the whole route again
from scratch".

I've periodically tried that since then if I have "odd" network problems
that a local router reset doesn't fix. It isn't unusual for the fifteen
minute trick to work.

Gordon.