Re: [Hampshire] [OFF TOPIC] Electrician recommendation

Top Page
Author: Brad Rogers
To: Hampshire LUG List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OFF TOPIC] Electrician recommendation

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56899100.hantslug.org.uk.24562': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Jul 5 19:04:42 2014 BST
gpg: using RSA key 4BC36C6C174D31C1
On Sat, 5 Jul 2014 18:35:13 +0100
Daniel Llewellyn <diddledan@???> wrote:

Hello Daniel,

>> "competent person" who will check your work before s/he signs off on
>> it all.

>That's not entirely accurate. Building regulations Part-P requires that
>all domestic electrical work be audited and approved by a qualified
>Part-P

Except for the term Part-P (head went blank, so I wrote "competent
person"), that's what I said. Note: "s/he signs of on it all".

>In practice, and as far as I'm aware, this isn't actually an issue
>until you come to sell the property - all work carried out on the

True. Also, given the level of understanding (i.e. almost nil) >90% of
the general population have of the legislation, the door is still wide
open for the cowboys. If anything, it opened wider because the
responsible electricians doing all the Part P installation, testing and
so on, are going to have to charge more because their costs have gone
up. Poor buggers. :-(

OTOH, they do pick up a few testing jobs from sparkies like me who
aren't Part P registered.

Plus, of course, certain jobs are exempt. Although that's not
applicable in the case of Stephen's barn job, of course.

>premises must have a valid Part-P certification paper for the legal
>side of changing ownership.

As for properties that have had nothing done since the instigation of
Part P in 2005 (I had to check - head blank again); they won't have
certificates. What happens then? No need to answer, the question is
(mostly) rhetorical.

>Note also, I'm not sure whether a Barn wired to a domestic premises is

That will depend on what it's being used for. Local Planning Dept.
will, or at least should, know even if the home owner doesn't.

--
 Regards  _
Buy some love at the five and dime